What is copyright?
A copyright is the exclusive legal right given to an originator of a work to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.
What is the purpose of copyright?
A copyright protects the creator of a work against infringement from others on her work without consent.
How to use copyright
OWL's Resources tool now has seven copyright options that one can choose to identify the proper copyright association to uploaded materials:
- "I own/share the copyright"
- "Use is no longer copyright-protected (public domain)"
- "Use is insubstantial and not protected by copyright"
- "Use is licensed"
- "Material is subject to Fair Dealing Exception"
- "Use is subject to the Educational Institutions Exception"
- "Clearance to copy has been received from the copyright holder"