What is collaboration?
Collaboration refers to the act or process of working with others.
What is the purpose of collaboration?
The purpose of collaboration is often to produce or create something while working with others. By collaborating, many individuals get a chance to contribute to the document or project, making it stronger overall.
How to collaborate
There are many online tools that facilitate collaboration. In OWL, the Wiki Tool allows collaboration among students by providing an area where students can collaboratively create and edit documents. Another tool in OWL that facilitates collaboration is the Forums Tool, where students can have a threaded conversation asynchronously.
Other tools for collaboration online include social web tools such as Google docs, blogging services, and Facebook.
- OWL Tools - Wiki
- OWL Tools - Forums
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Active Learning Classrooms
- Student Peer Evaluation
- Collaborative Learning Wikipedia Page
- Creating Effective Collaborative Learning Groups in an Online Environment
- NMC Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition (pdf) (see: Integration of Online, Hybrid, and Collaborative Learning, pp. 10)
- NMC Horizon Report: 2015 Higher Education Edition (pdf) (see: Increasing Cross-Institution Collaboration, pp. 10)